Translate

Friday, August 31, 2007

Self in Relation to Others

So, as I continue on my journey of unknowns, I can safely say that I'm registered for a class called Self in Relation to Others. I'm pretty sure this is going to be an enlightening experience. :) Self in relation to the individually 10 beautiful people in the class? Tomo 27-year old, Vans-wearing, Japanese, teacher of 2-year old toddlers? The two Buddhist friends with physical and weight training professions having so much insight on the history of psychology and Buddhist philosophy it's astounding! Beautiful girl who follows the Kaballah, who's thick accent from the middle-east and soothing green eyes just makes you want to listen to her ramble about her experiences and spiritual journey for hours; or Julie mother of a toddler who is so clear and articulant...every time I read what she writes, I say "AH-HA" YES, that is what I mean. Or perhaps the timid S. Korean and Taiwanese ladies who seem to be extremely subservient to the people around them and their surroundings. Or Shea, the frat-boy artist, who seems to never speak, but when he does, it just clarifies the discussion. The characters in this class are very interesting and it's interesting how I have descriptions of who they are based on very limited interactions with them...perhaps that's an inisght there...we are all are very much alike. We want to learn about ourselves and seek happiness.

We met our professor. Young, from Berkley, well-spoken, and very honest about herself and her life and seemingly willing to learn about ourselves. With her focus being on self-compassion, perhaps I'm here for that reason...to learn how to take this element and whole-heartedly accept it into my life.

No comments: